CENTREVILLE — A Queen Anne’s County jury deliberated less than 90 minutes April 3 before finding Galena resident Mark Charles Blazejak not guilty of a second-degree rape that allegedly occurred in Queen Anne’s last summer.

The jury also found the 21-year-old Blazejak not guilty of second-degree assault and fourth-degree sex offense.

The prosecutor dismissed a charge of reckless endangerment.

Circuit Court Judge Thomas Ross presided over the one-day trial. The jury began its deliberations at 5 p.m. and returned with verdicts at 6:20 p.m., according to court records.

Blazejak is awaiting trial on two alleged sexual assaults that reportedly occurred in Kent County last year. Those trials have been set for July and August, five days each, and will be held in Anne Arundel County. All hearings and court business leading up to that will continue to be heard in Kent County.

Defense attorneys Thomas Maronick and Caroline Alvarez, last November, successfully argued during an hour-long motions hearing before a visiting judge for a change of venue. They cited the “substantial amount of publicity” the case had received.

Due to a crowded court calendar, the first open date for a jury trial in Anne Arundel was not until July. This would be in violation of Blazejak’s constitutional right to a speedy trial, which is 180 days from his initial appearance.

Blazejak in open court on Nov. 30 voluntarily waived what is commonly called the Hicks rule.

Since February, Blazejak has been on home detention.

He had been in the custody of the Kent County Detention Center since Sept. 26 when he was arrested on a warrant charging him with two counts each of second-degree rape, second-degree assault, false imprisonment and reckless endangerment. He also is charged with third- and fourth-degree sex offenses.

There are two alleged victims. These offenses are alleged to have occurred in Kent County.

According to a news release from the Maryland State Police, the investigation began in August 2018 when a woman reported that she had been raped by Blazejak.

Other women who were interviewed as part of the initial investigation told police they had been sexually assaulted, according to the news release.

A second woman told police that Blazejak raped her in March 2018, according to the criminal indictment.

Subsequent to the MSP news release announcing Blazejak’s arrest on alleged offenses in Kent County, a third woman came forward accusing him of sexually assaulting her in Queen Anne’s County in July 2018.

An indictment was filed Dec. 6 charging Blazejak with second-degree rape, second-degree assault, fourth-degree sex offense and reckless endangerment.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.