QUEENSTOWN — A father and son suffered second-degree burns Sept. 2 while burning brush at Hunter’s Oak Golf Course, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.
“The victims poured gasoline on a brush pile subsequently igniting the brush pile, thereby causing a flash fire which resulted in burn injures,” the fire marshal’s office reported.
The Queenstown Volunteer Fire Department and a county paramedic responded at 9:36 p.m. to the golf course at 500 Amberly Farm Lane for reports of an explosion with burn injuries. Hunter’s Oak is owned by Susan Crossley, according to the fire marshal’s office.
The first victim sustained second-degree burns on their left arm and ankles; the second victim sustained second-degree burn injuries on their legs and singed facial and head hair, according to the fire marshal’s office. Both victims were flown by Maryland State Police helicopter to a nearby hospital with what investigators called “non-life threatening injuries.”
The father has since been released from the hospital. The son remains at Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center for treatment of his injuries.
The fire was ruled accidental.
The fire marshal’s office reminds citizens to never use gasoline while open air burning because the fumes can ignite and cause serious injury or death.
The office offers these additional tips for open air burning:
• Don’t burn on windy days.
• Have hand tools and a ready water supply on site.
• Never leave the fire unattended.
• Clear the area around the site for a minimum of 10 feet.
• Burn at a safe distance from your home or other structures.
• It is illegal to burn hazardous items, such as tires, plastics, aerosol cans and oil.