Fire alarm

CENTREVILLE — Queen Anne’s County High School was evacuated for a fire alarm early Thursday, April 11, before classes commenced.

There was no fire, just some smoke from an overheated belt on an air handler, according to Sid Pinder, director of operations for Queen Anne’s County Public Schools.

A bearing came off one side of a motor that spins a fan; the belt kept turning, causing the equipment to overheat and a sensor in the duct work detected it and set off the alarm about 7:15 a.m., Pinder said.

Students and staff already in the school were evacuated, and those just arriving were kept outside while fire departments responded and investigated to find the problem — about 10 minutes, Pinder estimated.

When Goodwill Volunteer Fire Department gave the all clear, students and staff were allowed back into the building.

Maintenance staff replaced the broken part that same morning, Pinder said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.