You are the owner of this article.
featured

Heater to blame for fire in Queenstown

  • 0
Queenstown Fire

A malfunctioning kerosene heater caused a fire that destroyed a house in Queenstown on Feb. 13.

QUEENSTOWN — A malfunctioning kerosene heater is to blame for the blaze that destroyed a house in Queenstown Thursday night, Feb. 13, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Queenstown, Grasonville and Kent Island volunteer fire departments all responded to 137 Rustic Acres Lane at 7:46 p.m. for a fire in the bedroom of a one-story, wood frame, single family dwelling. The fire was discovered by occupant Diane Jenkins, the fire marshal’s office said. According to the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation, the property is owned by Frances L. Ford.

It took 32 firefighters about 30 minutes to control the blaze. Damages are estimated at $75,000 for the structure and $6,000 for the contents, according to the fire marshal’s office. No injuries were reported.

The house had no smoke alarm and did not have sprinklers, the fire marshal’s office said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Latest e-Editions

  • To view our latest e-Edition click the image on the left.

Latest Special Section

We're always interested in hearing about news in our community. Let us know what's going on!