Fire

CENTREVILLE — An employee at Bridges Behavioral Health and Wellness on Liberty Street was injured Wednesday morning, April 19, when the lithium battery in her computer exploded and caught fire.

Goodwill Volunteer Fire Company responded to the 10:23 a.m. call to the professional building containing multiple offices at 207 N. Liberty St., but the fire was extinguished by an employee prior to the fire department’s arrival, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The 58-year-old woman sustained superficial burns to her face and upper body and was taken via Maryland State Police helicopter Trooper 1 to Johns Hopkins Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore for treatment, the fire marshal’s office said. No condition was available Wednesday night.

The fire marshal’s office ruled the fire accidental, caused by the computer battery exploding.

The business had both smoke alarm and sprinkler system, but the fire was extinguished quickly and neither activated.

Damages were estimated at $1,500 for contents with no damages to the building itself.

The business is owned by psychotherapist Deborah L. Dadds.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.