SANDY POINT — Be prepared for wind warnings, restrictions and the potential for temporary traffic holds at Maryland Transportation Authority bridges. Plan ahead to account for wind impacts when traveling MDTA bridges. Any decision to hold traffic at a toll facility would be based upon current weather at a given facility. The MDTA will make every effort to keep all of its facilities open as long as conditions are deemed safe to do so. Please keep travel speeds down and both hands on the steering wheel during these conditions. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not hazardous road conditions. Wind gusts are unpredictable.
On all MDTA bridges, wind warnings and restrictions would be implemented as outlined below:
• Wind Warnings (sustained wind speeds of 30-39 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 30 mph over a period of 15 mins) operators of house trailers, box trailers, motorcycles, vehicles with roof-mount racks containing cargo or any other vehicle that may be subject to high winds are advised to use caution while traveling across the bridge.
• Limited Wind Restrictions (sustained wind speeds of 40-49 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 40 mph over a period of 15 mins) house trailers, empty box trailers or any vehicle that, in the opinion of law-enforcement personnel, may not safely cross the bridge will be prohibited from traveling the bridge. Motorists who are denied passage will be assisted with safely turning around.
• Full Wind Restrictions (sustained wind speeds exceeding 50 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 50 mph over a period of 15 mins) only automobiles, pickup trucks, flatbed trailers, commercial buses and heavy-laden tractor/trailers are permitted to cross the bridge. Tractor-box trailer combinations will not be permitted to cross any bridge if the gross weight is less than 64,000 pounds.
• Traffic Holds/Bridge Closure (sustained wind speeds exceeding 55 mph for a continuous period of 10 mins or more; or wind gusts persistently exceed 55 mph over a period of 15 mins) In the event of a sudden increase of sustained wind speeds or wind gusts that could jeopardize life or property, the MDTA may elect to discontinue the movement of all traffic across the bridge.
• When a wind warning, restriction or closure is implemented at the Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge (US 40), no bicycles are permitted.
Call 1-877-BAYSPAN (229-7726) for 24/7 conditions at the Bay Bridge.