Police charge driver suspected of doing donuts on Bay Bridge

A Virginia driver faces charges for an alleged stunt on the Bay Bridge during heavy traffic.

CENTREVILLE — The driver facing charges for allegedly doing donuts on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in September will stand trial by judge in Queen Anne’s County in January 2021, the court said Wednesday.

Gary Ray Montague Jr., 22, of Dumfries, Virginia, is accused of burning out in his Nissan sports car on the westbound bridge amid heavy traffic on Sept. 27. Montague appeared in district court Wednesday to get his trial date and is expected to appear again for trial at 8:45 a.m. on Jan. 11.

Bystander videos of the 22-year-old’s alleged burnout circulated among thousands on social media in September and quickly attracted the attention of local law enforcement officers, whose investigation into the incident found that Montague was the car’s registered owner.

Police suspected the car’s driver had just left Ocean City, which hosted the H2Oi car meet up on Sept. 26, the day before Montague’s alleged burnout. After footage of the stunt went viral online, the H2Oi community came together to raise roughly $1,800 for Montague.

Montague did not say for what he might use the funds the car community raised for him, but according to court records, the nearly $3,000 in traffic fines he faces have not been paid.

Police identified and charged Montague the day after the incident on Sept. 28. He is charged with three counts of disturbing the peace, one count of disorderly conduct and 23 traffic violations. The four misdemeanors each carry a penalty of up to 60 days in jail and/or $500 in fines.

The traffic charges Montague faces, which amount to a collective almost $3,000 in fines, include reckless driving, willfully damaging a highway and driving a motor vehicle in a manner intended to cause skidding, according to an outline of the charges in court documents.

Details of the case were not discussed during the hearing Wednesday, and an attorney for Montague has not yet been entered into the record. Montague appeared by himself in court and did not comment on the case against him.

Queen Anne’s State’s Attorney Lance Richardson was not at the courthouse Wednesday and could not be reached for comment by press time. Richardson previously told The Star Democrat of Montague’s alleged stunt that he has “never seen anything this moronic before as far as conduct on the Bay Bridge.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.