RIDGELY - Smoke from an over-heated laminator set off the fire alarm and caused North Caroline High School to be evacuated Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 2, according to Principal Mike Smith.

Smith notified parents of the incident, which occurred in the school's technology department during third period, in a recorded message Tuesday evening.

Students said one of the technology teachers unplugged the machine, preventing a fire and stopping the problem. A large fan was set up to blow out smoke and ventilate the technology classroom.

Once they were sure the building was safe, Smith said he and the school resource officer made the decision to let students back into the school.

Very little instructional time was lost, Smith said.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.