ROYAL OAK — A Tilghman Island man who abandoned his car and fled on foot when Maryland State Police attempted a traffic stop early Wednesday, Jan. 1, apparently drowned in the marsh near Solitude Creek. Police recovered the body of Glenn M. Foster III, 36, at 6:45 a.m. some 30 to 50 yards from the shore.

The incident began on state Route 33 when a patrol trooper from the Easton Barrack saw a Ford Taurus that appeared to be speeding nearly collide head-on with the vehicle in front of the trooper shortly before 2:30 a.m., according to Greg Shipley, MSP spokesman.

The trooper made a U-turn on Route 33 and saw the car cross the center line again as it made a turn onto Royal Oak Road, Shipley reported. The trooper turned on his emergency lights and siren to make a traffic stop, and the driver of the Taurus turned onto Bushey Heath Lane and accelerated away from the trooper.

The trooper pursued the Taurus in his patrol car, saw it stop and someone get out and run away, Shipley said. The trooper reported his location to the barrack and called for assistance after seeing the person run into a thickly wooded area in the remote location.

Additional troopers and deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff’s Office arrived, and a grid search of the area was conducted. During the search, troopers came upon a small body of water, but heard no noise in the area.

As the search continued, troopers heard someone calling for help from the direction of the water, but after a short time, no further calls were heard.

A call went out for a water rescue. Volunteers from the Tilghman and Oxford fire departments helped in the search with fire department boats; Preston and Hurlock volunteer fire departments sent dive teams. A state police helicopter assisted in the search.

After the body was discovered, the person was identified as Foster and pronounced dead at the scene.

A forensic investigator responded to the scene and ordered the body transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore. An autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause and manner of death, Shipley said.

Investigators from the Maryland State Police Criminal Enforcement Division responded to the scene and the investigation is continuing. 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.