Bears work overtime to overtake Shoremen

Senior forward Greg Adams, with ball, scored twice in Washington's 2-1 defeat of Centennial Conference opponent Haverford on Sept. 29. He leads the team with seven goals.

CHESTERTOWN — Two goals from senior forward Greg Adams two minutes apart in the first half was all the offense Washington would need to defeat league rival Haverford, 2-1, on the Kibler pitch here Sept. 29.

All the scoring came before intermission.

This was the seventh win of the season for the Shoremen, who already have equaled their win total of 2019.

Both Adams goals came from about 15 yards out — in the 14th and 16th minutes off passes from James Strine and Harrison Malone, respectively.

Haverford (3-6-1, 2-2 CC) ended the shutout in the 33rd minute when Matt Heim headed a corner kick by Tomas Ascoli into the upper right 90 off the right post.

Washington's best scoring chance in the second half came in the 66th minute on a terrific shot from Alex Coster from about 25 yards out that keeper Dylan Ioffreda (three saves) tipped over the crossbar.

The Fords led 7-6 in shots in the second half, their last shot coming with less than a minute and a half to play and requiring a save by Anthony Pinto (three saves).

Washington (7-3, 3-1 CC) defeated Haverford for the first time since 2011.

The locals' unbeaten start to their Centennial Conference schedule ended Saturday in extra time.

Ursinus upset No. 24-ranked Washington, 2-1, on the second of junior Marco Grenda's two tallies.

Grenda's golden goal in the 106th minute was his conference-leading 10th goal of the season.

It was a chippy match with 22 called fouls and seven yellow cards (five for Ursinus) between the two sides.

Grenda scored in the 22nd minute on the Bears' first shot of the afternoon, after the Shoremen had taken four shots and earned four corner kicks.

Junior mid Cole Gifford answered for the home team in the 29th minute with a shot that slipped just inside the far post. Coster was credited with the assist.

Though outshot in regulation, 12-5, Tyler Lewin (three saves) and the Bears' back line held the Shoremen to one goal.

Each side had one shot in the first 10-minute extra period — Strine in the 92nd minute, requiring a save by Lewin, and Aidan O'Malley in the 100th minute that was safely wide left.

With 5 minutes, 2 seconds elapsed in the second OT, Tommy Mollis dribbled down the right sideline and delivered a perfect high-arcing cross to Grenda at the far post. Grenda headed it in easily to beat Pinto.

Washington came into the match having defeated then-No. 2 Franklin and Marshall, 2-0, and No. 17 Muhlenberg, 1-0, in succession, while just the week before Ursinus shut out Dickinson, 3-0, for its first Centennial Conference win in seven years.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.