Medicine Hill listed on National Register of Historic Places

Medicine Hill, dating back to at least 1790, includes the J. E. Applegarth Store and Post Office, the John E. Applegarth Farm and Dr. Robert Tubman’s home and office. It was recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

CHURCH CREEK — The Applegarth Tubman Medicine Hill Preservation and Education Foundation and Medicine Hill LLC recently announced the listing of Medicine Hill on the U.S. Department of the Interior’s National Register of Historic Places.

Medicine Hill dates back to at least 1790, and includes the Maryland Inventory Historic Properties: The J. E. Applegarth Store and Post Office, the John E. Applegarth Farm, and Dr. Robert Tubman’s home and office. It is the ancestral home of the Applegarth family on the Eastern Shore, and has been identified as one of Maryland’s Most-Threatened Historic Sites. It is also closely associated with the historic Roman Catholic Parish, St. Mary, Star of the Sea Church, which recently celebrated its 250th anniversary, and with the nearby Tubman Chapel.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.